Research Funding Program
The Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation funds research that shows potential to contribute to our vision of finding a cure in time for children battling Sanfilippo today, and those born with it tomorrow.
The Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation is particularly interested in three focus areas:
- Halt disease progression through therapies such as enzyme replacement, gene therapy and cell therapy and strategies to enhance the effectiveness of such emerging therapies.
- Repair and reverse the cell damage caused by Sanfilippo which could include the application of neuroregeneration advances made for other neurodegenerative diseases.
- Improve quality of life through palliative care and symptom management specific to Sanfilippo Syndrome.
Funding Program Overview
We will fund projects via four types of grant outlined in order of priority as follows:
How we fund research
Our funds are raised largely through grassroots fundraising activities initiated by the foundation, our supporters and families of children with Sanfilippo Syndrome. We have a duty to ensure that this money is used to fund research that has the greatest chance of having an impact on the lives of children affected by Sanfilippo.
The Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation has a competitive research funding program. All grant applications are assessed through a robust peer review process involving our scientific advisory board and external reviewers. Following this process validates that the research is:
- Scientifically valid, relevant and significant
- Timely and achievable
- Not duplicating other work
- Using appropriate methodologies
- Carried out by researchers with the right skills and facilities
- Providing value for money.
2018 Funding Timeline
Research Funding Program Stakeholders
There are several key stakeholders involved in the Research Funding Program.
Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) Chair
- Provide informed guidance on research and funding strategy matters
- Review applications submitted for funding and make recommendations
- Support grant applications submitted to other funding bodies
- Work with the Board of Directors to identify research funding opportunities
- Participate in research strategy reviews
Scientific Advisory Board
- Determine the agenda and chair SAB meetings
- Sole discretion on small grants of $10K or below (travel grants or co-funded scholarships)
- Deputy Chair to assume Chair position if/when funding decisions involving the Chair are required and Chair not available
- Attend Board of Directors meeting and present funding recommendations
- Learn more about our Scientific Advisory Board (SAB)
- Download a copy of the Scientific Advisory Board's Terms of Reference.
External Peer Reviewers
- Perform first-stage review of significant grants prior to review by SAB
- Provide international perspective and expert opinion on specialised topics in grant applications
- Download a copy of our Peer Review Policy.
Board of Directors
- Make final funding decision based on SAB recommendations and research strategy alignment
- Learn more about the Sanfilippo Children's Foundation's Board of Directors here.
For more information and/or to apply, visit our How to Apply page.